International Gas Detectors began their involvement in 1919 as the W.R.Patents company based in Leeds. Under the direction of Mr H.T.Ringrose, the company manufactured an instrument to measure the Carbon Dioxide of flue gases.
In 1930, still under the guidance of Mr Ringrose, the company entered the mining industry with an instrument called the Automatic Firedamp Alarm. In 1939 an Act was passed making the use of firedamp alarms compulsory and the Automatic Firedamp Alarm was supplied to the British mining industry.
When, in the 1960’s, SMRE developed the pellistor catalytic sensor, IGD obtained a manufacturing licence from NRDC and began to manufacture gas detection systems with remote sensors similar to the ones in common usage today.
In 1976, IGD was acquired by Becorit and indirectly became a subsidiary of the Steel Brothers Group. By 1978 all Becorit’s gas detection interests had been transferred to the IGD factory at Wetherby and IGD became an entirely owned subsidiary of the Steel Brothers Group.
By this time, the poisoning limitations of the SMRE pellistor were becoming apparent, particularly in the developing offshore market. Like most gas detection companies at that time, IGD was involved in seeking an alternative sensor for this important developing sector of the market. In 1980 IGD introduced the first poison resistant pellistor sensor and this soon became widely used in the offshore market. This pellistor, known as the DCP (diffusion controlled pellistor), is still one of the most popular catalytic gas sensors in use today.
In 1987 International Gas Detectors was acquired by Huwood Control Systems and transferred to Hucknail, Nottinghamshire. Huwood Controls were part of the FKI plc group following a takeover by FKI in 1990. Following the FKI sale of Huwood Control Systems in 1990, International Gas Detectors was relocated within the group of FKI Crypton atBridgewater, Somerset.
Since 1919, International Gas Detectors has served the needs of the industry for gas detection equipment and in 1994, were proud to announce the introduction of the Sentinel 16 modular gas detection system which ensured that IGD remained one of the country’s leading gas detection manufacturing companies.
Now in 2012, IGD, formally known as Richard Oliver Ltd and Oliver IGD Ltd have changed its name back to International Gas Detectors to embrace its former divisions and is once again privately owned. IGD’s extensive range of gas safety products and gas monitoring equipment can be found worldwide.